Thursday, December 13, 2012

Done being PC

Sorry, I'm not sorry.  Stop reading if you're offended easily.

I'm done being politically correct and having to tip toe around the fact that we're celebrating CHRISTMAS, not a holiday.  It's a CHRISTMAS tree, not a holiday tree.  In my state, our governor has deemed the tree in the state house a holiday tree in order to make everyone happy  
...BUT there's a menorah in the state house too. 
No one is calling the menorah a candelabra, are they?   
  
People find it disrespectful to call a Christmas tree a Christmas tree.
Well, what about the people who find it disrespectful to call a Christmas tree a holiday tree? 
Isn’t the tree part of the Christmas celebration? 
If people don’t want to celebrate Christmas then why would they put a Christmas tree up anyways? 
I don’t celebrate Hanukkah so I don’t have a menorah, simple as that.  Now, if I did want to have a menorah, I wouldn’t disrespect the Jewish community and call it a candelabra.

Now let’s get a little deeper here... if you don’t believe in Jesus then why celebrate Christmas in the first place?  Christmas is the celebration of Jesus' birth.  The birth of our savior.  So, again, if you don’t believe in it then why celebrate that holiday?  Christians don’t celebrate non Christian holidays so why are non Christians celebrating Christian ones?  If we start there then it could remove all the other unnecessary crap. 

I have an issue with people who don’t believe in God trying to turn the celebration of Christ's birth into a secular holiday.  And it's not even about the tree, it's about people trying their hardest to remove
CHRIST from CHRISTmas. 
How does the world get so far off base?  How do you start with a religious holiday and turn it into a day to focus solely on ripping open presents and not even have one mention of the true meaning of the day, of the season, of the reason?  Shame on them. 

Now I understand that people all have different beliefs and that's fine by me.  I know the truth and that's what I live by, but how dare the non-believers try to take one of the most precious days in all history and turn it into something that it's not and take the focus away from the true reason.  Jesus' birth is a historic event, he's not some made up character from a fairy tale, yet people are trying to demean it.

In my house we celebrate Jesus, not Santa.  We talk about the reason for the holiday, Olivia knows that the reason she receives presents on Christmas is because we're celebrating the day that God gave us the greatest gift of all, his son.  His son who was born, lived and died for us and our sins.  We minister on Christmas and serve food to the homeless.  We donate toys to shelters and pray for people and mankind.  We do all these things in Jesus' name, to honor him. 

I guess the moral of the story here is this - in my house, we live the truth.  No one can take that away from me.  But, if I run into you in the store during this CHRISTMAS season, you won’t be getting a "happy holidays" from me, I'll be proudly saying "MERRY CHRISTMAS!"


(there have been a few events that have triggered this post.  I'm not sorry if you're offended because I've encountered many situations where I've been offended and I feel this needed to be said)
Photobucket

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Holiday means Holy Day.

Alesha said...

I am not at all offended. I am a Christian and I celebrate Christmas as the celebration if Christ coming to earth to ave us from our sins! But Christmas did actually start as a pagan holiday that was converted to a Christian holiday. So the fact that it is being re-paganized by many? Sad, but why can we do.
Alesha <3

Meg G said...

Exactly.

I used to send out Christmas cards and made sure they said "Happy Holidays" because I didn't want to offend any of my non-Christian friends. But this year I changed that.
All my cards say Merry Christmas. And if someone doesn't like it, they can go pound sand.

Callie said...

I completely agree with you, Laura! It's so frustrating to constantly hear about "holiday" lights, trees, music, etc. I read another post on this same topic that made the point that even for those who don't believe in Jesus, the majority of Americans are celebrating some form of the Christmas holiday on December 25th, so what's the problem with just saying what it is?

Anonymous said...

Happy Holidays! Means: Happy Advent, Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukkah, etc, all rolled up into one. Holy days. There are many of them. We celebrate more than one day. I don't understand this backlash on others. You may say want you want, but know that you are not including me and mine by using just Christmas. And that is ok if you choose to do so, but it is a choice for you to exclude just as it is a choice for me to include.

Anonymous said...

Jeremiah 10:2-4: "Thus saith the LORD, Learn not the way of the heathen, and be not dismayed at the signs of heaven; for the heathen are dismayed at them. For the customs of the people are vain: for one cutteth a tree out of the forest, the work of the hands of the workman, with the axe. They deck it with silver and with gold; they fasten it with nails and with hammers, that it move not." (King James Version).

Anonymous said...

Alesh, PLEASE EXPLAIN WHERE YOU GOT YOUR INFORMATION ABOUT CHRISTMAS(CHRIST'S MASS)BEING (AT FIRST) A PAGAN HOLIDAY??????? I HAVE A DEGREE IN THEOLOGY, AND I NEVER HEARD THIS STATEMENT. ARE YOU A CATHOLIC? JUST WONDERING IF I MISSED ANYTHING IN MY STUDY OF RELIGION!

Anonymous said...

WHAT ABOUT OFFENDING JESUS CHRIST, IT IS HIS DAY (UNLESS YOU WERE BORN ON DEC. 25TH)THEN YOU MUST FEEL OFFENDED BECAUSE YOU SHARE THE SAME BIRTHDAY AS THE LORD JESUS CHRIST!