Thursday, January 5, 2012

The Food Battle... dun dun dun

Olivia has been giving me a run for my money, literally, with all the food that's been wasted lately. 
My normally great eater has been turning up her nose at everything
that isn't bread, a cracker or a potato puff.

She's totally a one hit wonder. 

If I only offer her one food, say, chicken, she's fine. 
But once there are options like chicken, green beans and a slice
of Italian bread she only wants the bread. 

Last night dinner was sirloin tips, veggies and a few potato puffs (for my carb loving ass  soul). 
I gave Olivia about 3 or 4 small bites of steak and once girlfriend spotted the potato puffs it was all over. 
Any bite of steak was turned away. 

I tried putting it on her fork and letting her feed herself...she handed it back to me
I tried putting it on her highchair tray...thrown to the dogs
I tried hiding it behind a small piece of potato puff...she spit it out

So, do I feed her one food at a time starting with the
most important foods and leave the table clear of everything
else before she's eaten a good amount of healthy foods? 

Do I trust that her breakfast and dinner are 100% healthy because
that's our only option and let her eat what she wants at dinner?

Since having Olivia, one of my biggest fears for her was having a weight issue. 
I've dealt with one my whole life, as has my mother,
and it's NOT something I want Olivia to ever have to worry about.

I think this is kind of a wake up call to me though. 
Maybe we don't need the potato puffs or Italian bread on the table at all. 
For any of us. 

Hmmm.

1 comment:

Emily grapes said...

hmmm, I can't offer any advice (sorry) but it sounds like an idea. The, keeping the table clear and giving her 1st the most important food, but I wouldn't know since I don't have kids. =/
I hope you're able to find a way that works for you. :)
Emily at Amazing Grapes